Express yourself with a stylish “On the Go” Backpack. This popular design is both fun to sew and comfortable to wear — a favorite for wardrobe building and gift giving alike.
Fabrics shown are Heather’s Clementine collection for Free Spirit Fabrics. For a limited time, shop for On the Go Backpack Materials Kits in our “Kits & Other Fun Stuff” section of the store.
On the Go Backpack
SMALL or LARGE OWL (15″ wide x 15 1/2″ tall)*
• 1/2 yd or 2 fat quarters main fabric
• 1/3 yd or 1 fat quarter pocket fabric
• 1/3 yd or 1 fat quarter pocket-lining fabric (Choose solid color or simple print that will not show through pocket fabric.)
• 1/8 yd** or 1 fat quarter contrast fabric A for Strap Casing & Pocket Trim
• 3/8 yd** or 1 fat quarter contrast fabric B for Center Panel behind Pocket
• 1/4 yd strap fabric
• 1/2 yd or 2 fat quarters backpack-lining fabric
• 1 feature button, 3/4” to 1 1/4” in diameter
• 1 button, 1/2” to 3/4” in diameter (This button will not show on finished backpack.)
Pins, scissors, needle, water-soluble marker, iron, ironing board, safety pins, seam ripper
* Suitable fabrics include quilting-weight cotton, light-weight decorator fabric, and other light- to medium-weight woven fabrics.’
** For this particular fabric, precisely this much yardage is needed; DO NOT get short-changed at the cutting table. If in doubt, or if you plan to pre-wash your fabric, order 1/8 yard more than the amount shown.
–Metric Conversion Chart included with each pattern–