Add some sweetness to your studio or sewing room with a virtual fruit salad of pincushions – five designs included. Fresh-Picked pincushions can also be used as decorations or ornaments. And they make great presents too!
**Includes pattern & instructions for a pear, an apple, a tomato, and two strawberry pincushions**
Every pattern includes comprehensive, professionally-illustrated instructions, along with additional construction tips, a pattern-specific glossary and a metric conversion chart for international customers. We offer materials kits for strawberry pincushions as well — see our “Other Fun Stuff” section of the store for kit options — sold separately. Otherwise, reference the Materials List below for a list of fabrics & supplies needed.
PEAR, APPLE OR TOMATO†
• 7”w x 8”h fabric*
• 7”w x 8”h fabric* contrast
• 14”w x 8”h light-weight, fusible, woven interfacing
• Wool or wool-blend felt scraps for leaves & stems
• Embroidery thread for leaf veins (pear & apple only)
• Doll-maker’s needle (apple & tomato)
• Two buttons, 20+mm (tomato)
STRAWBERRY (small or large)
• 6”w x 7”h fabric* for body
• 6”w x 7”h light-weight, fusible, woven interfacing (optional)
• Wool or wool-blend felt scraps for leaves, flowers & optional stem
• Embroidery thread for seeds & flower centers
• 1/4 yd. ribbon, 1/8“-1/2” w (loop option only)
• Fabric glue (optional, but recommended)
Pins, scissors, iron, hand-sewing needles, seam ripper, stuffing tool (Stuffing Fork™, chopstick, etc.)
† Pear, apple, or tomato pincushions can be made with one fabric, with two alternating fabrics or with six different fabrics. The materials list and pattern instructions are for pincushions made with two alternating fabrics.
* Suitable fabrics include quilting-weight cotton, light-weight decorator fabric, corduroy, velveteen and other light to medium-weight woven fabrics. Wool or wool-blend felt may be used if interfaced as outlined in the instructions. Knit fabrics, wovens with lycra content and other fabrics with considerable stretch should not be used.
** Stuffing options include standard polyester stuffing material, crushed walnuts, wood shavings or a combination of these.